Assistant Director of the Annual FundCompany: Amherst College
Date Posted: August 9, 2017
Full-time, year round position, salary commensurate with experience and qualifications
The Assistant Director of the Annual Fund is a critical member of the College's Annual Fund team responsible for all student-facing programs: phonathon, senior gift, and student philanthropy. This early-career position provides an opportunity for an entrepreneurial, flexible, and creative individual to play a pivotal role in developing a culture of philanthropy among Amherst students, and to build a career in higher education fundraising. In addition to student programs, the Assistant Director is responsible for the strategic, technical, and stewardship components of the recurring giving program for the Annual Fund.
The Assistant Director of the Annual Fund takes appropriate actions to support a diverse workforce and participates in the College's efforts to create a respectful, inclusive, and welcoming work environment.
- Recruit, train, and support senior class leaders on the Senior Gift Program to foster philanthropic education and engagement
- Plan and execute events throughout the year, implementing strategies to meet class participation
- Engage and educate students across campus regarding Advancement and philanthropy at Amherst
- Create and manage student philanthropy education with stewardship events, such as Love My Alumni Week
- Partner with Alumni and Parent Programs and the Associate Director of the Annual Fund, who is responsible for the Senior Gift effort, to engage students in educational philanthropy
- Educate students about the role of alumni giving at the College and keep the community informed of alumni Advancement-related events, including giving challenges and significant gifts to the College
- Oversee phonathon operations, including the hiring of 40-50 students per semester, student payroll, managing student supervisors, student trainings, segmentation strategy, goal-setting, and writing all scripts and other related materials
- Consult with the Annual Fund Reporting Manager/Analyst regarding phonathon reporting
- Supervise office intern(s) to support phonathon and student philanthropy efforts
- Evening shift coverage required
Recurring Giving Management
- Maintain and elevate recurring giving for current and future donors
- Seek out and determine best practices for processes including: soliciting, stewarding, and re-capturing continuous donors
- Bachelor's degree
- 1-3 years of fundraising experience
- Experience asking for leadership level gifts
- Strong time management, verbal and written communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Demonstrated relationship building, initiative, continuous improvement
- Database experience, proficient in MS Access, Excel, and Word; and ability to learn new software
- Some evenings and weekends and travel domestically to visit with prospects and volunteers throughout the year and as necessary
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information (e-mail and/or telephone number) for three professional references. Applications will be reviewed until position is filled.
Amherst College is an equal opportunity employer and encourages women, persons of color, and persons with disabilities to apply.